Thursday, February 17, 2011

Traditions

Traditions are an important part of people's lives. They provide us with a sense of belonging and togetherness. Everyone has certain tradition in their lives that are full of meaning and very important. Several traditions or centered around food. The biggest tradition in my family that is centered around food is Thanksgiving. It's usually always a big deal in my house. Ever since I was old enough to cook, I have helped prepare the giant feast. Homemade pumpkin and apple pies are always on the menu, along with homemade pumpkin bars from my grandmother's recipe book. Over the years, the amount of food that is served for Thanksgiving has shrunk, but it is still always memorable. Honestly, I'm glad that we cut down on the amount of food that is prepared for Thanksgiving and other holidays. There is always way too many leftovers that go to waste. That is a waste in money that we just can't afford to waste, and it just overall makes me feel bad. The wasted food could of gone towards so many more useful things; extra meals, helping those less fortunate. Our Thanksgiving is never a huge get together, just my immediate family. Along with that, my family has, ever since I was born, put up our Christmas tree and holiday decorations on Thanksgiving. I could never imagine doing anything different, since it's how I've celebrated every Thanksgiving, and when I have a family of my own, I will continue this.  There is nothing special that my family eats. Since money has the tendency to be tight in my house, we just eat what we can afford and what we have. Even if it's something we don't enjoy very much, we will eat it.
There are other things that my family does on holidays. One of the most sentimental and important to us is watching my grandfather's DVD. After he passed a few years ago, my mother's family created a memoir DVD. In order to feel close to him during the holidays and not forget him during these busy times, my family sits down and watches it, and remembers all the good times.
As lame as this may sound, fast food is a treat in my house. As I said before, money is usually tight in my house, so the ability to be able to go out every once in a while, and not have to cook, is a blessing, especially since I am usually the one to prepare and cook dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment